Monday, February 15, 2016

Do They Want What I Have

Our conduct has a direct influence on how people think about the gospel. The world doesn't judge us by our theology; the world judges us by our behavior. People don't necessarily want to know what we believe about the Bible. They want to see if what we believe makes a difference in our lives. Our actions either bring glory to God or misrepresent His truth.”
~Carolyn Mahaney, Feminine Appeal

Do They Want What We Have?
I came across this quote the other day as I was surfing the blogsphere and it stirred something in me. It made me question my life and the way I live it. Do I live a life that would make others STOP and think "What ever she has, that is what I want!"

I am not talking about the THINGS that I have like a new house, a new car, or Disney tickets. I am talking about the way my husband and I treat each other, the way my children act, the way I conduct myself both in and out of my house. Will others see something IN me that will make them STOP and wonder what I have in my life that makes me different.

I have very strong beliefs and convictions about the way I dress. My family and I dress VERY modestly and plainly. I believe that most people when they see my family and I out they look at us and know that we are religious (at least I hope they do). But lately, I have been thinking what good does that do? If along with my modest dress they see a scowl on my face, or (blush) if I have just raised my voice at my husband or children. What good does it do if my heart does not match my dress. If I look like a child of God but act like the devil himself.

Now, in no way am I saying that I am going to stop dressing the way I do, what I am saying is I want my heart to match my dress. It is so EASY for me to get up everyday and put on a long skirt, and leave my nasty dirty heart just the way it is. How nice that I look the picture of modesty and yet my husband longs for a Biblical Wife that will respect him and his God given place in this family.

Believe me when I tell you that NO ONE has seen me on one of those days when I'm yelling at the children, rolling my eyes at my husband, scowling and stomping around the world and said "WOW, whatever she has, that's what I want!". On those days I don't want it either!

But there have been days (oh blessed days) when strangers have walked up to our table at restaurants and commented on how well behaved our children are, or how we are the picture perfect family. I have been called June Cleaver, Betty Homemaker, and Mrs. Christmas. Those days my heart swells, my smile widens and I KNOW that they are seeing JESUS in me!

I didn't have to tell them, I didn't have to wear a shirt or a button that says "I Know Jesus, Ask Me How You Can Too!" They saw HIM! In my patience, in my demeanor. They heard him in my laughter, in my quiet and gentle tone. They watched him clean up a spill for the waitress, smile at the woman with the screaming baby that everyone else was scowling at. And my prayer is that when they walked over to our table they FELT HIS sweet sweet spirit at work in our lives. And that as they walked away they said, "WOW, whatever they have, that is what I want!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment