Thursday, May 14, 2015

Our Home has a Name



I know it's kind of strange, but hey we are kind of a strange family (as if you didn't already know that).

I knew from the minute that we started looking into building a new home that I wanted my home to have a name. You know like Tara or Green Gables. Don't all great houses with great stories have great names?

And so I have thought and prayed about what to "call" our home, I wanted a name with meaning to our family, I wanted a name that would be pretty painted on a sign. But most of all I wanted a name that would tell the world what a blessing and gift from God this home was to our family.

I thought it might be nice to use a Hebrew word but the problem with that is I'm not very good at pronouncing things in a foreign language! I was destroying a beautiful language and I also knew after looking up the words I was thinking of using I was never going to be able to spell it either! Having a name for the house that I could neither spell nor say was just not going to work!

In December of 2014, I determined that 2015 was going to be our family's Year of Jubilee (it's from the Old Testament). Every 50 years, in Jewish culture, is the Year of Jubilee. In this year, debts are forgiven, land and homes are restored to the original owners, and those that have been enslaved are set free.

I began to seriously pray and ask God for restoration, for Jubilee! I begged him to give back to our family all that was taken from us a few years ago. On my list of things that I felt we had lost was our Joy, our Peace, our Faith, and our Home.

And so after many failed attempts at naming our home I think my husband and I have come decided upon one....

Port Jubilee

Port is because the name of our model is the Port Royal and also because I would like to think of our home as a port of safety and comfort from the world. A place that my husband and my children can rest and take shelter. And of course Jubilee because I declared this our Year of Jubilee. And God has honored and answered our prayers and restored to us more than we lost.

So what do you think?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment