Thursday, January 23, 2014

Amish White Bread

Amish White Bread
This is our favorite homemade sandwich bread. I try and make all of our bread myself and this recipe (along with my bread machine) make it very easy for me to do that.

Amish White Bread (original recipe from 50's Housewife)

1 cup warm water
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups bread flour (I only use bread flour when making any type of bread)
1/3 cup sugar, heaping
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon dough enhancer (I buy this in Amish Country in Ohio)
4 teaspoons wheat gluten (this can be found at Wal-Mart by the flour)


Flour used as a barrier between wet and dry ingredients
 Add water, salt, and vegetable oil to bread pan.

Then use your bread flour to create a barrier between the yeast and the liquid ingredients.

Add sugar, yeast, dough enhancer and wheat gluten.

I use the basic dough setting on my bread machine and walk away. I DO NOT BAKE MY DOUGH IN MY BREAD MACHINE!

After the dough cycle is complete I take the dough from the bread machine, knead it a few times on the counter (to remove some of the bigger air pockets)  and place it in the baking pan.


I then place the bread in the microwave for its second rise (I have found the microwave to be the best place to let bread rise). I let the bread rise about 30 minutes and then preheat the oven to 350 degrees while the bread continues to rise.

Risen dough ready for the oven
Once the oven is heated and the bread has risen to about 1 to 2-inches above the pan. I then bake the bread for 30 minutes.












Baked bread cooling off before slicing

Take the bread out of the oven and remove it from the pan. Let it cool ALL THE WAY! And then I use an electric knife to slice the bread. Store in an airtight container.








No comments:

Post a Comment