Monday, January 20, 2014

Perfect Baked Potatoes

This is the recipe I use every time I need baked potatoes, either to eat as Baked Potatoes (DUH) or if I have a recipe that calls for baked potatoes. These actually live up to their name as "Perfect"!
 
Perfect Baked Potatoes
Perfect Baked Potatoes (original recipe by Alton Brown)

Large Russet Potatoes
Canola Oil (I just use whatever oil I have, just not Olive Oil)
Kosher Salt (This is IMPORTANT)









Preheat oven to 350 degrees and position racks in middle and bottom of oven. Wash potatoes. Then using a standard fork poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the spud so that moisture can escape during cooking.

I USUALLY USE THE FORK AND POKE EACH SIDE OF THE POTATO AT LEAST 4 TO 5 TIMES!

Place in a shallow bowl and coat lightly with oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt! Do not be stingy with the salt!

Potatoes coated in oil
Potatoes with oil and salt

Potatoes in the oven ready to cook




Place potatoes directly on the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any drippings.

Bake for 1 hour or until skins feel crisp but flesh beneath feels soft.

Baked Potatoes
Serve by creating a dotted line from end to end with a fork, then crack the spud open by squeezing the ends towards one another (this works every time). The potato will pop right open and look just like the potatoes you are served in restaurants.

CAUTION: THERE WILL BE STEAM!

I also wanted to let you know that I updated the Baked Oatmeal post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment