Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Apple Pie

Apple Pie with a scoop of ice cream
I made this pie for my sweet husband on our wedding anniversary. It is not a "traditional" apple pie but it was pretty tasty. I do have some "tweaks" I am going to be trying the next time I make it. I thought the pie was Okay. My husband and my children LOVED it. Some of them ate it cold with ice cream and some had me warm it up with ice cream.

Apple Pie (Original Recipe) 

1 recipe for a 9-inch double pie crust 
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
8 apples, peeled, cored and sliced (the recipe calls for Granny Smith but I used Fuji, I think next time I will be trying it with the Granny Smith)

Sugar mixture simmering



Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour to form a paste. Add water and sugars. Bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer. (I did make sure to stir this occasionally).








Mounded apples
 Place the bottom crust in your pie pan. Fill with apples, mounded in the middle. Cover with a lattice work crust (this is important) and make sure that the gaps in your crust are LARGE!

Gently and SLOWLY pour the sugar mixture over the crust making sure that it gets into the pie through the gaps in the lattice work. DO NOT LET IT RUN OFF THE PIE!

Notice the large gaps in the lattice work!
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, or until apples are soft.

















Finished apple pie
 MAKE SURE YOU PUT A COOKIE SHEET ON THE RACK UNDER THE PIE OR YOU WILL HAVE A MESS. Do not ask me how I know this, just take my word for it.

WRAP THE EDGES OF YOUR PIE WITH ALUMINUM FOIL BEFORE BAKING.





No comments:

Post a Comment