Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Managing My Day

I am reading a book by Heidi St. John called "The Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Daylight".


Heidi (I can call her by her first name because we bonded. She gave me a sticker.) was a speaker at the homeschool convention my husband I went to a few weeks ago here in Orlando Florida. And I adore her. I went to two of her talks and then stopped by her booth a few times too. She made me laugh. She made me cry. She made me want to be a better wife. A better mother. A better homeschooler. She put conviction in my heart. But she also encouraged me.

This book is so full of great advice and wisdom (and I'm only on page 26)! When I was reading today one of the lines that she wrote struck me to my very heart and soul. Heidi said that the key to managing my day is really just learning to manage me!

I struggle with getting everything done! I struggle with getting half of everything done! Some days I struggle with getting anything done! And yet when I look back over the day I had plenty of time to check Facebook, read blogs, write a post for my own blog, play a few games on my phone, check Pinterest, and talk on the phone. However, I did not have to time to clean the kitchen, switch the laundry, plan my lessons for next week, bake cookies, or play a game with the kids. HOW SAD IS THAT!

I very obviously have no idea how to manage me!

But that is going to stop! I have tried numerous things (FlyLady, Managers of Their Homes, A House that Cleans Itself). I am always looking for that amazing formula that if and when I follow it will educate my children, clean my house, cook all the meals, take care of the laundry, and perhaps leave me with the energy to spend time with my husband at the end of the day. I think what (my new friend) Heidi is telling me (and I think she is 100% correct) is that their is no system, no magic wand, and no book that will do all of those things for me. I have to do them myself! And I cannot do them if I'm on Facebook, or Pinterest, or reading blogs, or playing games, or anything else for that matter.

So I'm going to start managing my time by managing ME! Anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment