Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Homemade Pie Crust

Homemade pie crust
This is a simple homemade pie crust recipe. It is the only one I have ever used so if you think you have a better one let me know! I have made this a few times and it is easy and tastes great.

Homemade Pie Crust (original recipe from Smitten Kitchen)

2 sticks unsalted butter, very cold (I leave mine in the refrigerator until I am ready for them)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water

Fill a liquid measuring cup with 1 cup water and add a few ice cubes, set aside.

Butter cut into flour mixture
Whisk together flour, sugar and salt. I then put my four mixture into my Kitchen-Aid mixer and dice up my two sticks of VERY COLD butter into 1/2-inch pieces and add the butter to the flour mixture. Then on medium speed  (using the paddle attachment) I mix the flour and butter mixture until the butter pieces are the size of peas (it is okay if all the pieces are not the same size).

Start drizzling 1/2 cup of the ice-cold water (NOT THE CUBES) over the flour mixture. Keep the mixer on slow to medium speed and continue to add water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough gathers together into a ball.

Dough mixed up and ready for the refrigerator
Divide the dough in half and place each half on a large piece of plastic wrap. Use the sides of the plastic wrap to shape the dough into a disk. And then let the dough chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour but preferably two.

After two hours you can roll the dough out for your pie crust. I do let me dough sit out on the counter for about 2 to 3 minutes before I begin to roll it out. Just to take the chill off and make it easier to work with BUT NO LONGER THAN A FEW MINUTES!

Refrigerated dough


This dough will keep in the refrigerator for about a week (WRAP IN A DOUBLE LAYER OF PLASTIC WRAP).








No comments:

Post a Comment