Friday, January 31, 2014

Stromboli

I made this recipe because when our family goes out to eat at our favorite little Italian restaurant this is what my husband and my boys order. Every time, without fail. So I figured I could make it and (probably) make it better! 

Stromboli
The Stromboli was okay. It was a little dry and what I failed to remember (and the recipe did not mention) was that the Stromboli my family orders comes with a side of Marinara sauce (DUH) so next time I make this (along with my tweaks) I will be serving it with some Marinara on the side!







Dough rolled out on baking sheet

 Stromboli (original recipe)

DOUGH:
1 cup warm water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon yeast
1 tablespoon oil
1 egg
3 - 4 cups bread flour

Mix all ingredients together in a mixer (I used my Kitchen-Aid) or by hand. Form into a ball.
Grease a baking sheet (11 x 15).
Roll dough out to cover pan.



Butter mixture spread on dough
BUTTER MIXTURE:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 egg yolks (save the whites)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced

Mix all ingredients together and spread on the center of the dough almost to the ends.





STUFFING MIXTURE:
Can really be whatever your family likes this is what I used
1 pound hamburger
1 sweet onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded

Brown hamburger along with onion, pepper, and tomato. Cook until hamburger is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Drain (WELL).
Stuffing mixture spread out on dough
Place hamburger mixture on top of butter mixture. Add cheese on top of hamburger mixture.
Fold both sides of the dough up over the toppings and cheese and crimp together.
Brush with egg whites and bake at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.



Cheese added to hamburger mixture

Dough folded and brushed with egg whites

Baked Stromboli



No comments:

Post a Comment