Saturday, August 22, 2015

Big Batch Cinnamon Rolls

We have a special family tradition for birthdays. The birthday boy/girl picks all of the meals for the day. They can have almost anything they want (I say almost because this year my son asked for Lobster which is definitely not in the grocery budget). But other than that I don't think I have ever said No to a request before.

Sometimes their choices are simple, like coffee for breakfast (since I do NOT let the children drink coffee). Of course this was my sweet-tooth child so it was not just coffee but dessert coffee. You know with chocolate and caramel and whipped cream. And sometimes their choices are a little tough - like Krispy Kreme Doughnut Hamburgers with Bacon and Cheese Fries.

But my prayer is that these special meals that they pick will allow them to realize how important the day of their birth is to us and how special they are to our family. I spend almost the entire day in the kitchen cooking and cleaning so we don't usually do it on their actual birthday but within a few days of the actual day.

My middle son turned 17 this month (he is my sweet-aholic) and so Tuesday was the day I made his meals. For breakfast he wanted homemade cinnamon rolls. And so homemade cinnamon rolls he got!

Yummy! Cinnamon Rolls!


Homemade Cinnamon Rolls!


Print Recipe

Big Batch Cinnamon Rolls


Course: Breakfast

Ingredients

  • 3 cups water warm
  • 3 tablespoons yeast
  • 34 cup sugar
  • 2 cups Bread Flour
  • 34 cup oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 7 cups bread flour
  • 2 sticks butter melted
  • brown sugar
  • white sugar
  • cinnamon
  • ICING:
  • 12 cup butter melted
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla
  • 6 tablespoons whole milk
  • 6 cups powdered sugar sifted

Directions

Mix water with yeast and sugar. Let sit about 5 minutes to activate yeast.
Add 2 cups flour. Mix.
Add oil, salt, and eggs. Mix.
Add 7 cups flour, a couple at a time. Mix and then knead until all flour is incorporated and dough isn’t sticky.
Set dough in a LARGE greased bowl. Let rise until double. It took about an hour for my dough to double. I ALWAYS LET MY DOUGH RISE IN THE MICROWAVE.
Divide dough in 1/2. Roll out one 1/2 into a long rectangle.
Spread rectangle with 1 stick melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon. Roll up.
Cut the roll into 18 pieces.
Let the rolls rise again, for about 30 minutes!
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Icing:
Mix ingredients together until easily spreadable. Adding more milk if needed to get to a spreadable consistency.

Powered by
Plan To Eat

The Verdict:
These were very good! A little time consuming but I think all cinnamon roll recipes are! I will be making them again but not before I try the Pioneer Woman cinnamon rolls.
The recipe makes a TON! Two pie plates and my biggest glass baking dish stuffed full! The icing was okay (I like the cream cheese kind better). But it did not make anywhere near enough for the entire batch. I guess we like more icing on our cinnamon rolls than the recommended amount. So next time I'm going to double the icing recipe (already changed).
Also, next time I'm going to buy some disposable pie plates (at the dollar store) so that I can freeze some of these rolls before baking.

Too many for just us
And because I had cinnamon rolls everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I loaded up a tray of them and took them down to the guys working on the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment