Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Chocolate Toffee Bars (AKA Christmas Crack)

If you know me at all you know that I did not go to our pre-drywall meeting empty-handed. OH NO! I wanted to make something tasty for our PM. I had already made him muffins (for our pre-construction meeting) so I decided to make Chocolate Toffee Bars. I learned during this meeting that he is not a big sweet eater so I'm going to make him up a loaf of homemade bread in the next few days.

I knew that Micah and the kids were going to want in on the goodies too so I made a double batch and now 5 days later there is no evidence in the house that these bars were ever present.

Chocolate Toffee Bars (AKA Christmas Crack)

Print Recipe

Chocolate toffee bars


Course: Desserts

Ingredients

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 40 crackers (saltine)
  • semi-sweet chocolate chips (about half a bag)

Directions

  1. For ease of clean-up, line a jellyroll pan with foil. Lay the crackers on top of the foil in even rows.
  2. Melt the butter and sugar together in a medium pot on the stove on medium heat. Cook it until it begins to thicken. Make sure the sugar gets completely combined with the butter.
  3. It should be smooth. Pour the smooth butter/sugar candy over the crackers evenly.
  4. Place the pan in the oven (preheated to 350) and cook until bubbly, about 8-15 minutes.
  5. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. If you want a thick chocolate layer, sprinkle more.
  6. The chocolate melts quickly. Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the top.
  7. Set in a cool place to harden. Break or cut apart.

Powered by
Plan To Eat

The Verdict: These were so good and certainly addictive. The recipe was pretty simple. Here are a few things I learned.

First I made two pans cause I was going to be giving some away. And I learned I always need to make two pans! Second I put the first pan in the oven for 8 minutes and it was fine but I put the second pan in the oven for 10 minutes and it was better.

Also, this must be refrigerated in order to set up. I don't know if that is because it's so hot in Florida but having left the pan out on the table overnight and it still not setting up I put it in the refrigerator and it set up within an hour.

I think next time I would like to try with graham crackers instead of saltines and also maybe milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment