I knew that Micah and the kids were going to want in on the goodies too so I made a double batch and now 5 days later there is no evidence in the house that these bars were ever present.
|Chocolate Toffee Bars (AKA Christmas Crack)|
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 40 crackers (saltine)
- semi-sweet chocolate chips (about half a bag)
- For ease of clean-up, line a jellyroll pan with foil. Lay the crackers on top of the foil in even rows.
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a medium pot on the stove on medium heat. Cook it until it begins to thicken. Make sure the sugar gets completely combined with the butter.
- It should be smooth. Pour the smooth butter/sugar candy over the crackers evenly.
- Place the pan in the oven (preheated to 350) and cook until bubbly, about 8-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. If you want a thick chocolate layer, sprinkle more.
- The chocolate melts quickly. Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the top.
- Set in a cool place to harden. Break or cut apart.
The Verdict: These were so good and certainly addictive. The recipe was pretty simple. Here are a few things I learned.
First I made two pans cause I was going to be giving some away. And I learned I always need to make two pans! Second I put the first pan in the oven for 8 minutes and it was fine but I put the second pan in the oven for 10 minutes and it was better.
Also, this must be refrigerated in order to set up. I don't know if that is because it's so hot in Florida but having left the pan out on the table overnight and it still not setting up I put it in the refrigerator and it set up within an hour.
I think next time I would like to try with graham crackers instead of saltines and also maybe milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet.